Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Cult-Lucifer Single

(Red) MRI
2012

Color me surprised to find out that The Cult have a new single out. I must have been sleepwalking my way through life again because I love Ian Astbury and company. "Choice of Weapon" makes album number nine for The Cult and it is five years in the making. By the sounds of "Lucifer" it seems as if the long wait has paid off. The album was co-produced by Chris Goss (Queens of the Stone Age) and longtime collaborator of the band Bob Rock (Metallica, Aerosmith among many others). Yes, we do have Bob Rock partly to blame for Metallica turning into a shell of their former selves and all but from all accounts "Choice of Weapon" sounds like it will be a great return for The Cult. This single (and hopefully the whole record for that matter) is their take on heavy modern rock. The only difference is that The Cult make the genre sound cool again. Seriously how can you not like The Cult with their mix of hard rock/heavy metal and goth/punk sensibilities? For me at least I always thought that The Cult were what The Doors would have sounded like if bands like Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath were their biggest influences. Dark and mysterious their music always intrigued me and this new single is no different. I've got my figures crossed that the new album will be just as wicked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home