Saturday, October 23, 2010

Unruly Child-Worlds Collide

Photobucket

Frontiers

2010

I am not always a huge fan of AOR, but if done I can certainly get into. In recent years there have a few releases of this style that hit me just right. The newest from Unruly Child certainly falls into that category. The line-up from the band's 1992 debut has returned for this release. If anything they are even tighter then they were almost twenty years. I must have admit that I have been a fan of vocalist Marcie Free (King Kobra, Signal) for a long time, but was skeptical as to if her voice was still. I should not have let those doubts cross my mind because she can still belt it out. Just a fantastic display of range and how to create moods with every line. The band as a whole approaches this album like it has been months rather years since they recorded together. If anything this is the smoothest and most focused album to come from this band. I often felt that their other albums had high points, but also contained songs where the band seemed to be searching for a direction. On "Worlds Collide" they are completely in control as they sweep their way through some fantastic melodic hard rock/AOR. Many of the songs have choruses that you will stick in your mind right away. I do wish that they knocked out maybe one more rocker type song, but still this is a must hear for fans of the style.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Unruly child = my son at Disney World, oy

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home