Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Celan-Halo

Photobucket
Exile on Mainstream
2009



This project came to be when Ari Meyer of Einstuerzende Neubauten and Chris of Unsane got together. I don't what was said during those initial meetings, but at some they had to work out their ideas. I am sure that was an interesting series because these two performers come from very different musical backgrounds. The final results as evidenced on this disc are different from what I expected. It's not as abstract as Meyer's background might have suggested and the hardcore sounds are fairly limited and spread out. There are light industrial influences and electronica parts sprinkled within. They have positioned pieces that contrast within each song and primarily it keeps matters interesting. The playing is fairly tight. The varying styles and frequent pace changes helped to keep my interest. The mood is at times dark as they create some tense moments. The only shortcoming was that I was really expecting more surprises and they were more subtle than I expected. Still they show a great deal of promise for a debut.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home