Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Mighty High-Drug City

Photobucket
Self-produced
2008

I remember as a teenager being careful with the volume level on my stereo as I listened to something like "Sweet leaf". I was afraid my mom would freak if she caught me listening to it. My mother was one of those people that thought the lyrics of rock music would lead to no good and I would be on the downward spiral to some sort of hell. Maybe she was right, but bands are still singing about the same topics that they have combing over for the last few decades. Obviously this band isn't shy about their topics as the moniker and album title broadcast that this will be ode to drugs. It's all fun though as Mighty High take us on a spirited ride through their hazy, smoke-covered little world. They remind me of mid-late 1980's crossover similar to post 1986 Gang Green mixed with some early 70's classic rock. I think the cover and band name had me expecting them to be more like stoner rock. They are not though because instead of laying back and taking it slow they plow forth with a relentless assault. So this band forgoes any gloss as carve out jagged chunks of music mixing it metal, punk and more. It's an enjoyable romp though because Mighty High never get bogged down in trying to do or be too much. They have an agenda and they get in and get out while giving just enough to have us hooked. Not an album that I could listen to all the time because it's nothing do, but it's a fine effort that I could certainly play on occasion.

http://www.myspace.com/mightyhigh

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger bob_vinyl said...

I think we came to similar conclusions on this one. It's a fun record even if it isn't blazing any new trails.

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you know what we're blazing. Thanks for the write ups.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home