Monday, August 27, 2007

Van Halen reunion

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A lot of people have been writing about the Van Halen reunion since it's now official and the tour will commence shortly. Roth-era Van Halen are one of my top five favorite bands and my favorite American band. Yet I can't help the fact that I am none too thrilled about this reunion. If it had happened ten years ago then it very well may have been something. I think it's a little sad that Michael Anthony isn't in it, but that's not a big part of the issue. I think reunions are a case by case as to whether it should be done or not. This year I think there was a very good idea for a band reunion and a very bad one. I have not seen either and won't because I am too cheap and hate to drive in the city. However, I think Heaven and hell was a good idea for a reunion and most fan reports say it went very well. Ronnie James Dio is still in good form and every one in the band has been active in various projects in recent years. So I am sure they were very tight and there was no major hype. They were just going out to play the songs from the Dio era of Black Sabbath. With Van Halen you just seem to be getting a lot of hype and I just doubt there is much energy left there. Diamond Dave has a lot resting on his shoulders to pull this thing off. Many sources say his voice is shot. Of course he's on board for the big payday because it beats playing state fairs and the venues he has had to play to make a living in recent years. I just think Van Halen are going to be a very thin shell of what they once were. My guess is they will look like they are going through the motions. Plus they are going to charge a whole lot of money to go and see this farce. Also unlike many others, the Roth era of this band ended on top in many ways. They had a messy break-up, but right before that was 1984 which was a great album and they had a great tour. The Roth-era could have ended on that high note except that they want the big cash in that a reunion will bring. No one thinks this tour is going to just pick up where 1984 ended. However too many fans will see it as their only chance to see the band with Dave. So they will shell out the huge price tag to see these guys limp through a set and try to relive the past. I was very much hoping Van Halen would be like Led Zeppelin and not do a reunion tour so that their past could be preserved. I didn't want them to become a joke, but unfortunately they will. It won't tarnish their great albums, but it's just a shame they felt the need to ride the money train and then pretend it's going to be like some big party. What a shame.

***What do you think of the reunion?

17 Comments:

Blogger bob_vinyl said...

I'm with you on this one. They always had two things going for them, an earth-shaking guitarist and a lot of energy. While EVH can still play, I'm sure, he isn't breaking new ground anymore. As far as they energy is concerned, I don't think they've had much of that since DLR left the first time.

7:46 PM  
Blogger aXe mAn said...

I think it's good to see them try to do something, but without Michael Anthony, it won't be the same. Plus, like you said, they are past their prime.

The tour is not coming that close to me anyways. Even if it was, it would be a lot of money.

Now, if it were back then, sure, I'd love to go. But now, it's different.

8:09 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I agree 100%. And the Michael Anthony thing bothers me more than you--another reason to avoid the show.

-- david

3:16 AM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

I thought I saw somewhere that the Michael Anthony thing had something to do with him working with Sammy Hagar and the VH brothers being mad about it. Is that the case? They should probably call this reunion tour Clash of the Egos.

5:15 AM  
Blogger Bobs B & B said...

Not having Michael in the band is a major minus point, would I go and see them if they travel over the pond to Blighty?

HELL YEAH!!!

8:01 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

If they had gotten it together back in 1996 when they originally tried to get back together, I'm sure they would have been more successful with the reunion. Michael Anthony not being a part of it is strange. As you said, this would be my only chance to see VH with Roth (as I've seen them with Hagar twice), but I don't think the show will live up to the hype.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Hard Rock Hideout said...

I have heard that Dave is actually singing better now, than he was when was in the band the first time around.

Apparently, Dave was often blitzed during quite a few VH shows, back in the 80's and would forget the lyrics.

I hope they stay together long enough to record another album. Another full album with Dave would be very cool!

8:16 AM  
Blogger MrRyanO said...

I think you nailed it when you said that people who haven't seen the Roth era VH will pay to see this. I saw Diamond Dave right after he left VH and then again about 4-5 years ago. I would never pay to see him again. He's still great with his on stage banter with the audience, but not so much entertainment in the musical sense.

I'm a big Roth fan and prefer to remember him as the great DLR that we knew and loved in VH.

No interest in seeing this geriatric tour or in helping to fill their pockets. Although, I will be watching the headlines as they are sure to make some!

10:15 AM  
Blogger captain corky said...

I hear that Wolfgang Van Halen is going to be replacing Michael Anthony. What a name!!!

I kind of wish I had seen this band at some point, but I don't think I would pay to see them now.

10:32 AM  
Blogger DPTH International said...

All the hype surrounding up to this reunion tour is enough to off-put me from seeing it. Just do the damn tour already.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Bob-I agree about the energy level.

axe man-I agree that it's certainly different.

David-I am sure they will get big crowds though.

Bob-I think that's part of it, but I think there was some tension even a few years when they got together for the last tour Sammy.

George-They will have to survive this tour first before they can tour anywhere else.

Mike-I saw them with Sammy in 1988 on Van Halen's Monsters of rock. They were good, but the Scorpions blew them off the stage.

HRH-I think an album at this point would be going through the motions as well.

rockdog-I like Dave a lot too and hate to see his reputation get further damaged.

Corky-I feel the same way about them.

DPTH-No doubt, it's been a soap opera before they even started. Although I was hoping it would fall through.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Aunt Jackie said...

I've heard his son is doing rather well on Bass, but I imagine this will eventually bomb, they can't keep it together. It sounds cool, but in the end--eh... I love the old Van Halen, but gotta be realistic.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Allyson said...

I'm going and I'm excited.

It sucks the way Van Halen treated Michael Anthony, but that isn't going to keep me from going to a show and having a good time.

There's no point in being negative about the "reunion" with Wolfie. The Van Halen brothers will do as they please. I'll buy an overpriced ticket and some beer and report for the rest of you.

Allyson B. Crawford
www.bringbackglam.com

9:30 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

aunt Jackie-I am sure Wolfie will be fine, but it's the overall energy that I question.

Allyson-I am too upset about the Michael Anthony thing. I just think it will be a joke as the old geezers struggle to make through a set. I am sure the pre-recorded backing vocal tapes and oxygen tanks will be on hand to help the band make it through.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i actually think it will be a good show.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I was mad at The Police and just grossly let down over this cash cow. Of course, fate ushered me a free ride to The Police (thank you, Bob!) and someone I know bought 7 VH tickets and doesn't have his guest list organized yet, so....if I'm one of them, I'll be a hypocrite yet again...however, I largely disapprove of how this thing was capitalized and exploited

3:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think they will give it their best effort. Roth and Eddie have a very special chemistry that's unmatched... you'll be very surprised.

http://vanhalenreunion.blogspot.com

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home