Sunday, July 01, 2007

Wyzard-Knights of metal,1984

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I'll admit that I never heard of these guys back in the day. I guess because this their only release is fairly rare. So rare that a vinyl copy of this four track release sold for $500 on eBay several years ago. However in 2003 Perris records got the rights and put it out on CD with a bonus track. Like many rarities, it received a great deal of hype. Like many rarities it doesn't quite live up to it's hype. These guys were from San Antonio, Texas and listed their influence as Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. You can sort of hear that, but more Priest than Maiden. They would likely be classified as traditional power metal. Which kind means they are faster than say classic metal bands like Dio or Judas Priest, but not quite up to a speed metal pace. The music reminds me a little of fellow Texans Helstar with tight riffs mixed in with some short sporadic pace changes. They might also be slightly similar in sound to LA band Abattoir, but not quite as fast. The vocals are all over the place though as the vocalist alternates between middle range and some crazy unexpected high notes. I think their energy is pretty high, but their creativity is fairly typical of a lot of mid-80's metal bands that never went anywhere. They also dress in the standard black leather and black t-shirt look and pose with skulls and big candles. The booklet notes say they added a second guitarist after this ep. It's a shame they didn't get another try. Even though they aren't totally spectacular, they are fired up enough that I would have been interested to hear what they could do on a full length album with two guitarists and better production values. It's not hardly worth the $500 the vinyl drew, but it was worth the $10 I paid for the CD a couple of years ago.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember reading about this reissue on Perris and how the vinyl went for $500. This is a highly collectible piece but it's really not worth the high price. At least the CD reissue can still be found on Ebay but it is out of print.

You can hear the vinyl at the Vibrations Of Doom website:

http://vibrationsofdoom.com/test/Wyzard.html

11:06 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Steve-It's not remastered on cd so the vinyl would sound the same as the cd.

4:35 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I never heard of this band baack then, either. I love me some power metal, though, so I might check this out.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

David-Just keep in mind that power metal back then is different from power metal now. Power metal now typically means German style power metal as in like Helloween and Gamma Ray and the bands they have influenced. Power metal twenty years ago was more American bands like Metal Church, Helstar and bands like that. Less melodies and more metal might be the difference between the two styles.

1:19 PM  
Blogger captain corky said...

Damn dude! You know your metal, thats for sure.

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up in San Antonio, TX and actually saw them perform, it was unfortunate to see them fade away, but in those days there were many similar bands making the power metal scene such as Metal Church, Fates Warning, Watchtower and even a San Antonio Slayer! But, even back then I could not find a Wyzard LP in stock, a few years later I finally found one, it was used, but in mint condition and gradbbed it for about $8. Being that it was so hard to find, I only played it once to make a tape recording of it, I did listen to the recording countless times, needless to say that the LP is still in mint condition after all these years... hmmmm...? eBay huh......?

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've found your blog searching info about this album... I like it!
I'm not very practice in blog, maybe it's not the best place to write it, however I've seen your profile and I love metal (especially classic heavy/power/speed) and science finction too! Ray Bradbury is my favourite writer with Philip K. Dick!
I also like Theodore Sturgeon, Alan Moore, Orwell, Huxley, Michael Moorcock and many others.

I've seen you're form Manchester... although I'm Italian I'm a great fan of Manchester United!!! (I hope you like the better side of the city :P)
Glory glory Manchester United!!! ;)

Cheers,
Matteo Salomone

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey if you're really thinking about selling it, I'd be interested to work out a deal with you! You can email me at benscummy@aim.com.

Cheers man!

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home