Friday, December 01, 2006

Number Ten

The countdown of my top ten favorite hard rock/heavy metal albums of 1986 begins with number ten. I said a few dark horse bands may make the list and this is one of them. So number ten goes to:

Cyclone: Brutal Destruction

Yes, I know that you are asking "who?". In 1986 I stumbled upon this debut by Belgium's Cyclone and oh, boy it is a monster. It's a big slab of mid-80's thrash somewhat similar to early Exodus with a pinch of early Metallica thrown in. The pace is sometimes frantic with sudden pace changes yet it works and retains much of the heaviness I first heard twenty years ago. So there's number ten.

On Saturday I move on down the line to number nine. I will give two hints because it's another not very well known band. Hint number one is they did three albums and had a different bass player on each release. Hint number two is they are normally best known for the fact that their second bass player went on to form a long running band that had a really nasty band name. So number nine will be revealed on Saturday.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never knew Cyclone so I'll have to check for this. I thought Crossfire was a good guess. I like these lists because you can some great referrals.

As far as the Hint.....the nastiest band name in the world is Anal Cunt. Go from there and Seth Putnam played bass in.....EXECUTIONER.

6:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Almost forgot.....

You can listen to CYCLONE - BRUTAL DESTRUCTION over at the Vibrations Of Doom website.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Steve- Thanks for that about Cyclone. The vocals are decent, but the music is great. I think the cd was only released as an import (if at all). I have it on vinyl as I wore out my cassette years ago.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Someone named their band "Anal Cunt"? Wow, I guess they weren't to concerned about airplay.

I'm tingling with anticipation of your number 1.

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark - cannot say I am familiar with Cyclone, but they sound interesting. Looking forward to the rest of the list, though I cannot phathom a guess at number 9

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's
http://vibrationsofdoom.com/
if you wanted to give a listen. It's a great website to hear full albums of obscure heavy metal.

Mark - There's a Cyclone CD on Ebay right now. Came out on Roadrunner.

8:20 AM  
Blogger captain corky said...

I'm completely at lost for number 9 as well, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what number 1 is too.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

nonny-They are about as good as their band name. Although some people seem to like them.

t-bone-It has been revealed.

Steve-I looked at that is their second release. I have never heard it. I know it was done maybe four years after the debut and at least half of the line-up changed.


Captain Corky-The year 1986 was a very good year for metal, but it was easy to decide which album was number one.

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home