Saturday, December 02, 2006

Number nine

The countdown of my top ten favorite hard rock/ heavy metal albums continues with number nine. Hats off to Rhodeislandrock for correctly guessing who it is.

Executioner-In the name of metal

Quite honestly the production on this album is poor, but it really doesn't matter. Executioner managed to combine NWOBHM influences with mid 80's speed metal and it works. All the songs are short and the album flies by, but it's full of energy and pounding riffs. They were obviously a band concerned more with their sound than with their image and that comes across in their music. If everyone played with the level on enthusiasm that they did on this release then the music world would be a far better place.

On Sunday I will continue the countdown with number eight. We will finally get to someone you have probably heard of. The hint is that this artist previously established themselves with another band. However in 1986 this vocalist released his first solo lp. I think that narrows it down to a few people.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a good weekend Mark:)

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't remember Executioner from back in the day. Probably had my mind warped from too much of Priest's TURBO. Just put them on the list to check out.

Seeing that I was successful in my guess for #9, I say it's either Diamond Dave or Vinnie Vincent

8:39 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I'd say DLR. That was 1986, right?

-- david

10:07 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Executioner....good times with these guys. Mark Johnson was the guy's name...remember all that shit he sent us? Way cool. Do you still have a copy of the bootlegs he sent us? Genocide! Deicide! Fratricide! Patricide! Matricide! I remember they were the kings of "cide"

5:04 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

And I think I was the only one who really liked the Vinnie Vincent Invasion, so much I bought it on CD too, lol....in some ways it's just so awful, but there's pure nostalgia in it... Given this, I would say Mark is going for DLR's Eat 'em and Smile

5:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home